Want to Become a Volunteer?
Hospice of Northwest Ohio volunteers make a positive difference in the lives of the patients and families they serve and are greatly appreciated by the Hospice staff as well. If you are thinking about becoming a volunteer, here are some things to consider:
Volunteers make a “priceless” contribution
Each year volunteers provide thousands of hours of service for our patients. The value of this time exceeds a half million dollars, but is “priceless” in the eyes of those we serve.
In addition, as a Medicare-certified hospice, we are mandated to include volunteers as an important part of our organization. We are required to have at least 5% of our patient services hours provided by volunteers.
Training Builds Confidence
Every volunteer receives training prior to joining the Hospice of Northwest Ohio team. Topics include:
- Understanding the Hospice philosophy of care
- Knowing the boundaries when interacting with patients and families
- Communicating with patients and families
- Understanding basic health and safety precautions
- Understanding patient confidentiality
- Understanding the services provided by Hospice of Northwest Ohio
Additional training is provided for those volunteers who choose to provide more specialized services.
The Benefit of Becoming a Hospice Volunteer
While our volunteers make a tremendous impact on the lives of our patients, families and staff, we hear time and again that they, too, benefit from their hospice experiences. Among the things they mention are:
- Increased appreciation for life and what is really important
- Greater knowledge and more inner peace about the end-of-life experience
- Greater insight about diversity and the different perspectives among cultures
- Heightened sense of fulfillment and pride because of their contributions to the Hospice of Northwest Ohio mission
Getting Started as a Volunteer
Volunteer training classes are held numerous times a year. Those interested in learning more about the many volunteer opportunities available should contact the Volunteer Department at 419-931-5534 or email@example.com.