Choosing Hospice is Choosing Quality of Life
For patients who have an illness that cannot be cured, there are many important concerns and issues – unique to each individual – that cannot be addressed in a traditional health care setting. Only Hospice offers what patients say they want most at the end of life:
- Choices about what types of care and support they personally wish to receive – and where they wish to receive it;
- Control of pain and other symptoms so they can spend each day in comfort and enjoy quality time with friends and loved ones;
- Spiritual and emotional support that helps them and their families address difficulties, fears and end-of-life issues;
- The ability to stay at home, in a nursing home or in one of our home-like Hospice Centers, surrounded by the people and things they love most.
- Home-based palliative care services to help with the pain and symptoms of serious illness or the side effects of treatment for those NOT on hospice.
Hospice care is beneficial for anyone of any age, with any life-limiting disease; it is provided when it is believed patients have six months, or less, to live. While many hospice patients have cancer, hospice care provides great comfort and support for patients with all types of illnesses including heart, lung, kidney, vascular and neuromuscular diseases, Alzheimer’s and other types of dementias, AIDS and birth defects. Hospice care can also be beneficial for people who are in a severe state or decline due to frailty or other disorders associated with aging.
Care and services are provided by a highly specialized team of physicians, nurses, therapists, social workers, aides, clergy and volunteers. Together, they help patients and families live life to the fullest extent possible, and help them address the wide array of issues that arise at the end of life. In addition, they provide bereavement support for family members of all ages following the death of their loved ones.
The costs of hospice care are covered by Medicare, Medicaid and most other insurance plans. Hospice of Northwest Ohio turns no one away due to inability to pay.
Please be sure to browse our entire site to better understand hospice care, and the many ways Hospice of Northwest Ohio can help you and your family.